How do I install device drivers?
Identify the device (Windows)
Determine the make and model of the device for which you want to update the drivers. If it's an external device (printer, scanner, webcam, etc.) you can usually read the make and model number right off the device. If the make and model info is not easy to determine, you'll need to do some research to figure it out. You should be able to find the information using one of the following methods:
- Select Start, in Search, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.
Download the Drivers
From the manufacturer's website (recommended):
- Go to the device manufacturer's website.
- Locate the Software and Driver download page on their support site.
- Search for the specific model number of the device.
- Locate and download the driver specific to your device and operating system. (Determine your operating system by right-clicking My Computer and selecting "properties".
Install the Drivers
Some drivers are provided as a self-extracting, self-installing executable package. Some will be a self-extracting archive that contains an installer you need to run. Others will be a file or set of files that need to be installed manually.
To install drivers from an installer:
- Double-click the installer file.
- Click through the installation process.
- After the installer finishes, restart your computer to complete the installation process.