Remote Software & Computer Access Procedure
There are times when you need to use a certain software application or device but do not have physical access. Instead, you can remotely access a device at MLML that has the software you need or computing capabilities. Below are the instructions on how to gain software & computing access remotely.
STEP 1: Identify Needs
- Identify the application/computing that you need and research it to know what exactly it is you're looking for:
- Specs (CPU, Storage)
- Pinpoint exactly what you'll be using the application/device for
STEP 2: Submit an iTicket
Once you know what you need, we can help you get access to it. Submit an iTicket with the information you uncovered from Step 1. Please do the research before submitting an iTicket so we know exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish.
STEP 3: Access MLML VPN
Once you have the go-ahead from the IT Department, setup access to the MLML network using VPN. You will need to be connected to the MLML network to access a device remotely.
STEP 4: Launch Remote Desktop
NOTE: The following instructions are to connect to a Windows desktop computer from Windows or macOS.
IMPORTANT: You will need to configure the Windows computer to which you are connecting to allow Remote Desktop connections. Refer to the Troubleshooting section below to enable Remote Desktop connections
- Launch Remote Desktop Connection
- Windows 10: Start Menu > search for "Remote Desktop Connection" or Start Menu > Windows Accessories folder
- Windows 8.1: Win key+S to launch the search tool > search for "Windows Remote Desktop"
- Windows 7: Start button > open Accessories folder > select "Remote Desktop Connection"
- In the Computer field type the name or IP address of the device you're connecting to
- Select Show Options
- Enter the username of the account you'll use to login
- Select "Allow me to save credentials" to save the credentials so you don't have to enter them each time you access this device
- Select Connect
- Enter the password associated with the username you used into the window that pops-up
- Again you can select "Remember me" so you do not have to enter the password each time
- Click OK
- You may receive a message saying that the identity of the remote computer cannot be verified. Check the box for "Don't ask me again for connections to this computer" and click Yes
- You should now be connected
- For more information on how to use Remote Desktop Connection go to this link "How to Use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection"